Saturday, July 10, 2010

Up North!

From London we headed up to Yorkshire to see Granny. We had a leisurely drive up and stopped for lunch at a great pub. We also saw this beautiful English castle too.















It was hard to see her as she is getting much older and more frail but nevertheless we had a lovey time with her. I think we exhausted her when we first got there, she was so excited to see us that she had to go and lie down! Throughout our trip Steven was the only one who was insured on the car because he arrived two days after me so picked the car up on his own. Much to Steven's dismay, because I wasn't there in person, they couldn't insure me on it so poor old Steven had to manage all the single lane roads around Granny's house on his own. He did great though! We took Granny out for a drive on Thursday night and even though her eye sight is going she was able to tell us very specific directions - I guess that is what comes of having lived somewhere for 25 years! Because Granny is getting older she really isn't up to doing too much but we took her for a walk around the neighborhood in her wheelchair. Or rather I should say, Steven pushed her, and I just strolled along next to them laughing at the fact that the pavement was in such bad condition that Granny felt as though she was on a roller coaster. Much to Steven's horror she suggested they just walk down the road instead! Steven looked at me as if to say, "is she serious?" when we realized she was he literally didn't miss a beat and there we were, the three of us, walking down the middle of the road!


























We had great fun on Friday as we headed to Durham where I went to university. Steven had never seen it so I enjoyed showing him around all my old haunts. Unfortunately we ended up visiting on the week of graduation and anyone who knows Durham will also know that graduation is the most crazy time ever. It happens in the cathedral so sadly Steven did not get to see it in all its glory but it was still a good day. Here are some photos of the university town which I love!
















The cathedral with the graduates!















Another angle of the cathedral















The river running through Durham with the castle and cathedral


The street to Riverside for classes every day



The Bailey (my college is to the right on this picture)


Inside the cathedral (rumor has it that this was used in one of the Harry Potter movies)


Another angle of the cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment